Flooded basement can create all sort of problems around the house. Contact us for immediate response…
Tip to deal with Water in Basement
- Before you get down there to assess the situation in depth, make sure you shut down all power to that area, including electricity and gas. Do not, under any circumstances enter a flooded basement while the power is on. If you aren’t sure exactly how to shut down the power, it is best you contact us at Express Water Damage Repair at Boca Raton, FL, and let our expert team handle the problem for you.
- Unless the water in basement is caused by natural disasters (heavy rain, floods, hurricanes, etc.) make sure to take action against the water leak in basement immediately. If storm water is behind your problem, you may want to wait until it passes before getting to work or contacting us.
- Regardless of what is causing the flood in basement, make sure to wear boots and gloves for protection when you get down there, and if you want to, even a protective mask. Hip or chest waders a good option as well. Be careful when walking around a flooded area, as it has now become a hazardous zone.
4. Find the source of the water leak in basement. If the cause is a broken pipe, shut off the water supply to the basement.
5. If you were a cautious homeowner and had a floor drain built into your basement, check it out first, to make sure it hasn’t become clogged. Keeping it clean from any debris will speed up the basement flood clean up process.
- At this point you have two choices, contact our professional team of technicians at Express Water Damage Repair in Boca Raton, FL, and let them handle the problem for you, or you can start removing the water by yourself. Depending on the amount of water you can either use a sump pump, a pool pump, or a mop and bucket. Sump pumps work by locating them in the lowest part of the basement and pumping the water out and away from your home. A Sump pump not only helps to get rid of the excess water but also to prevent the water from reaching other areas of your home causing even more damage to your property. Once you’ve pumped-out most of the water, use a mop or sponges to get rid of the rest. Remember you don’t need to do this alone, you can get everyone involved in this process, or you can pick the easy road and give us a call at Express Water Damage Repair in Boca Raton FL.
- Whether you’ve chosen to handle the basement flood clean up yourself or decided to let the professionals deal with it, make sure to remove all the damaged items from the basement before starting the process, put them outside or in a well-ventilated area to dry up. By removing all these items, you allow yourself to work more comfortably, or save our team time they will invest in fixing the problem right away instead of moving stuff out of the way.
- Do not touch anything electrical like televisions, stereos, lamps, etc. Even you’ve shut the power down, these items are better left to dry where they stand. Once the flood problem has been dealt with, you may hire an expert to assess the damage on those devices.
Hire a Pro
While all these tips will help you get through a flooded basement situation, it is always advisable to let professional companies such as Express Water Damage Repair in Boca Raton, FL, to deal with this problem, we are experts on the field, and you can rest assured we’ll leave your basement as good as new once we’re finished with it. Sometimes a homeowner has taken the trouble (and the investment) to waterproof their basement and would still get flooded, let it to the pros to find the problem and protect your investment.